Haley decided to play "Mommy and Honey" tonight. Whenever she wants to role play that someone is the daughter, she calls them honey. I guess I call her that alot, but I don't see it. Anyways, I went along with the game because it's always interesting to see how she portrays being mommy, and I can show her what she is like. To those of you with babies or no children, let me warn you now: although the game can be fun, it's never easy to see yourself through your child's eyes!
The first thing she does is goes and gets a cup from her kitchen and tells me she has her coffee. Then she tells me I need to put my clothes in the hamper, then gets a little twirked telling me that I have toys all over and they need to be put away. Ok, I do tell her these things alot, fair enough. As I'm pretending to put my things away, she tells me its time for her to talk to Daddy and goes to him and asks him about his day. He goes along with it and talks to her like it's me. The whole time they are talking, she is drinking her coffee.
I start in with the "mommy, play with me" over and over as she does to me. She says "no, I have to pick up, feed the baby and make dinner, then I will play with you." Again, fair enough, I do that. As the game went on, I see her sighing, getting agitated, making excuses why she can't pay attention to me, etc. She pulled a chair up and did the whole "I want to talk to you about this" thing. She took even took a pretend phone call. By this time, I'm feeling pretty crummy because she was being honest, this is how some days go.
Finally she stopped, came over to me and put her hands on my face and told me she loved me and we could make dinner together. She was all done doing things and it was time for me. She kept cupping my face in her hands and talking to me really sweetly. I felt so much better! So I guess the lesson I learned was that I do have my short comings and I need to relax (she really doesn't care how high the mountain of dishes gets) but in the end, I'm a good mommy. The other lesson I learned? I drink too much coffee! The whole time we were playing she kept drinking from her cup and even went back for refills, each time sighing and saying "I need more coffee"!!!
Bryan's 2nd Birthday party
14 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment