Everyone is talking about the state of the economy, and I am one of those people. Yes, I'm scared. However, I just had a thought and I'm going to speak off the cuff here for a minute. I'm good at talking and then thinking, so if this doesn't make much sense, wait for the revised version tomorrow.
It amazes me sometimes at how freely people spend money when they have it, buying things you don't need. How now in life we can't go without the Internet, cell phones, a few cars in the family. The barter system is out the door, and forget doing things to help out a neighbor. Speaking of neighbors, name 3 families on your block. Can you do it?
This weekend I saw a garage sale sign and wanted to drive past it. Haley asked where we were going and I told her. She got very excited and said "I want to buy some old stuff! Mommy, can we buy me some old stuff to play with?" She could care less if it is not new and in a shiny package. A bike from a garage sale is still a bike. At what point do we learn to think it has to have a store tag on it?
My grandmother made her clothes, made my teddy bear, and would damn near pass out if she saw how much pre-packaged food was available at the grocery store. My father always told me I would need to learn to cook, but I have graced by on purchasing most things all ready done for me. Well now I am kicking myself and learning as I go. I have learned the importance of coupons and that a box of Bisquick is cheaper and makes way more pancakes then a box of frozen toaster pancakes...and more fun for Haley to help with.
So as nervous as I am about the future of our family and the future of America, I take solace in thinking that maybe this is what our generation and the ones behind us need. When Bruce lost his job, I had to really learn to save money. It wasn't as hard as I thought because I didn't have the money to waste. My toes have not fallen off from not getting a pedicure on a regular basis. This is a wake up call I think to everyone to slow down. Instant gratification is going to have to take a back seat. Maybe even a seat on the city bus because you can't afford gas. It's ok, we'll get through it, and our priorities will once again be where they should be. On family, neighbors, community. Look to your neighbors and maybe you'll even see that a potluck with some of them is a much cheaper (and more entertaining) evening then going to dinner at a restaurant. I'm not going to lie though, I really miss pedicures!
Bryan's 2nd Birthday party
14 years ago
2 comments:
AMEN!! Good job in telling it like it is.
MOM
Also,get a camera!!
Grama
Post a Comment